Here's a very refreshing, yet protein-rich side dish for the upcoming warm season. I'm listing the basic soy sauce + sesame oil flavor, but you can be creative by adding mayonnaise, mustard, miso, minced umeboshi, or hot chili sesame oil (ラー油).
Poached Chicken Breast with Cucumber Salad
- 2 Persian cucumbers, thin-sliced
- 1 Chicken breast
- 1/2 tbsp ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Sake
- White sesame seed
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- 1 tsp Soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Rice Vinegar
makes 2 servings
- In a heavy bottomed pot ( I use Le Creuset pot), place a piece of chicken breast, add sake and just enough water so that chicken won't stick on the bottom. Cover with a lid and cook in a low heat.
- Once water start boiling, cook for another 5 minutes, then turn off the heat. Keep the lid on, and let it steam for about 5-10 minutes.
- In a bowl, add sliced cucumber, sprinkle some salt and mix. After 5-10 minutes, squeeze the cucumber and drain extra water.
- Take out the chicken from the pot, shred it with your hand, and add them to the cucumber.
- Add chopped ginger, sesame oil, soy sauce and vinegar to the bowl and mix them well.
- If time allowed, chill for 15-30 minutes, sprinkle sesame seed at the end.