I almost never cook steak at home, but this is the only option. Skirt steak is a part of beef that is relatively thin, easy-to-cook, yet is as flavorful as some of more expensive cuts. Chimichurri sauce is an Argentinean condiment which consists of olive oil, parsley and oregano. It goes perfectly with a juicy skirt steak and is a healthier way to eat steak with.
Marinated Skirt Steak
- 1lb of skirt steak
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2-3 cloves garlic, grated
- salt and pepper
- a wedge of lemon or lime juice
makes 2-3 servings
- Season steak with a pinch of salt & pepper on each side, grate garlic over the meat, pour soy sauce and balsamic vinegar, flip the meat and marinate each side. Refrigerate the steak for at least 2 and up to 4 hours.
- Once the steak has finished marinating, remove it from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature (for about 30 minutes).
- When ready to cook the steaks, prepare your grill for grilling.
- Grill the steak over medium-high heat till the edge looks shrunk/crispy (4-6 mins), flip over, cook till the meat feels firm and thickened (4-6 mins) to serve it rare to medium-rare.
- Once cooked, lay the steak on a clean cutting board, and allow it to rest for 5 to 10 minutes to let the meat redistribute its juices.
- Serve with chimichurri sauce and a wedge of lime or lemon.
- 1 1/2 cup (packed) fresh Italian parsley and/or fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano leaves (or 4 teaspoons dried oregano)
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 shallot, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 3/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
makes about one cup
- Pulse the garlic and shallot in the food processor until finely chopped.
- Add the rest of ingredients in processor, puree them. Transfer to bowl. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Cover and let stand at room temperature.)
You can simply chop all the vegetable finely with a knife, if not using food processor. It'll give you a more earthy flavor.
The left-over chimichurri sauce can be packed in a small ziploc bag and be frozen for a later use. If kept in a fridge, use them up in a few weeks. Some ideas for alternative use include omelettes, quesadillas, or on other grilled meat dishes.